Monday, January 12, 2015

Chalk Paint® + Texture + Wax = Sense of Age and Patina

At TLC Vintage Collection, central Iowa headquarters for Chalk Paint® decorative paint by Annie Sloan, we keep experimenting with the types of finishes we can come up with. After all, we want our customers to always experience something new and a little different when they walk through our shop door.

So I had some time when working on some new products this week to finally work on a small door that I've had for some time and wanted to do something special with its beautiful carved panel. I wanted it to look old, a little crusty and as if it was metal that had developed patina over time. So here it is!


First we painted the entire piece with Emile -- a beautiful light purple color. While the paint was still wet, I sprinkled it in areas with sawdust. When all was dry, I intermittently painted various areas with Napoleonic Blue, Greek Blue and Florence. I then used a scraper and knocked off a lot of the paint covered, built up sawdust. I also sanded the piece to blend the colors. Next, it was waxed with Annie Sloan's Clear Soft Wax, and then some Dark Soft Wax. The final bit was to add some touches of Renaissance Gilding Wax that I feathered on here and there with a fluffy artist brush.

Among my collection of antique hardware, I found this sweet lion whose open mouth is a keyhole as a finishing touch of uniqueness. I am not sure I can part with this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment